The September Hong Kong Jewellery & Gem Fair demonstrated its strength as the world’s number one fine jewellery event as thousands of professional jewellery buyers from around the world visited the show to do business from September 13 to 19.
The seven-day event capped its 35th anniversary edition on September 19 with encouraging numbers: 3,695 exhibitors from 57 countries and regions greeted a total of 59,122 buyers from 147 countries and regions.
“The 35th edition is an important milestone in the fair’s history. We are glad to see record-breaking visitor numbers mark this occasion. The figures build on the September Fair’s strong reputation for quality as well as quantity. Their presence confirms the strategic role the Fair plays in the participants’ businesses and the industry at large,” said Celine Lau, director of Jewellery Fairs, UBM Asia.
The fair was held at the AsiaWorld-Expo (AWE) from September 13 to 17 and the Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Centre (HKCEC) from September 15 to 19.
The total number of unique visitors over seven days reached 59,122. The visitors came from 147 countries and regions in six continents. The number of visits recorded during the Fair was 124,744.
Hong Kong-based visitors totalled 17,411, accounting for roughly 29 percent of the total number of visitors. The rest of the visitors: 41,711, or about 71 percent of the overall total, were from outside Hong Kong.
The largest group of visitors from outside Hong Kong came from mainland China totalled 21,340. It was followed by India, with 3,496; Taiwan region, 1,628; the United States, 1,600; the Philippines, 1,317; Thailand, 1,242; Japan, 1,067; Korea, 1,008; Indonesia, 722 and Australia, 660.
As token of gratitude, UBM Asia presented the Loyalty Awards to eight exhibitors who have been participating in the September Fair for 35 consecutive years.
“In addition to these eight exhibitors, over 200 exhibitors who have been participating the fair for 25-plus consecutive years were honoured with the Loyalty Awards. It is encouraging to have loyal exhibitors like them,” commented Lau. “They appreciate our efforts in creating the ideal trading platform for worldwide jewellers.”
She continued: “The Euro Zone and the US markets are admittedly challenging because of their less-than-stellar economies but our exhibitors did pretty good business with robust jewellery markets. For instance, China, which posted a remarkable double-digit growth in the number of buyers — 22.6 percent — to reach 21,340. There was also notable growth in visitor numbers from Ukraine, Iran, Demark and the Philippines. The September Fair offers exhibitors a lot of options in terms of markets.”
Following its successful run at the June edition of the fair, the CORE Pavilion joined other attractions at the September Fair. The pavilion housed well-regarded fine finished jewellery companies that have supported UBM Asia’s Jewellery & Gem Fairs in Hong Kong over years. “These exhibitors are important to the city’s jewellery industry as they continue to consider Hong Kong as the platform from which they grow their business. They have helped to propel the city and witnessed its rise as a global jewellery industry powerhouse. We are happy to offer them the platform to showcase their craft to the fair’s global audience,” said Lau.
Also returning to the Fair is the “Diamonds are Natural: Declaration Programme on Diamond Exhibits,” which was successfully launched at the September Fair last year. The programme acknowledges members of recognised diamond trade associations who make a declaration that they supply and exhibit diamonds in accordance with the in accordance with the “chapter 362L Trade Descriptions (Definition of Diamonds) Regulation of Hong Kong legislation during the Fair. “We always attempt to serve the jewellery industry with the best tools. The programme is in its second year and feedback from both exhibitors and buyers has been positive. By providing proper and sufficient information, we believe the buyer can make an informed purchasing decision,” Lau added.
Other highlights of the fair were two pearl auctions, almost 30 seminars and conferences and special events, including press conferences and jewellery parades at AWE and HKCEC. The fair serves as a networking hub that allows industry players update themselves with the latest market intelligence and innovations, making it even more worthwhile to visit.